Important Updates:

Nulla vestibulum viverra odio a facilisis. Fusce non faucibus mauris. Morbi malesuada scelerisque nulla. Curabitur hendrerit tempus posuere. Donec nec. More...


Parties Without Attorneys - Uncontested Cases

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

If you do not have an Attorney, and you are coming to court for a Divorce, Modification, Suit Affecting Children or Name Change you must follow these guidelines:

1. All uncontested and default cases must be reviewed and approved by the Friend of the Courts before the case can be presented to the Judge for finalization.

2. The Friend of the Courts’ office is located on the third floor of the Galveston Justice Center, Suite 3100, 600 59th Street, Galveston, Texas.

3. The Friend of the Courts must give their approval in writing before you can present your case to be finalized. Before coming to court to finalize your case, you must obtain a report stating that you have all necessary documents that is signed by the Friend of the Courts.

4. The Friend of the Courts is not an attorney. The Friend of the Courts is provided to help you obtain the documents you need and to inform you of your deadlines and requirements. The Friend of the Courts will not advise you on any legal matter.

5. The office hours of the Friend of the Courts is Tuesdays and Wednesdays 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. You must meet with the Friend of the Courts during those hours. The Friend of the Courts does not make appointments nor take telephone calls.

6. Uncontested cases for Parties Without Attorneys are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8:15 a.m. Bring your final orders and all other documents the Friend of the Courts has required you to provide along with the Friend of the Courts report when you appear at court for your uncontested hearing.

7. Pleadings, Final Orders, Waivers and other related divorce and family court documents can be found at TexasLawHelp.Org.

Very Important: the Judge, the Friend of the Courts nor any of the Court Workers can give legal advice. We will help you with your notice requirements, final forms and testimony.

We will not assist you in a contested case. You are advised to talk to an attorney if you have any questions.